Plea for information

James M. Cobb jcobb at ahcbsd1.ovnet.com
Tue Dec 12 19:34:09 PST 1995

Friend,

On 12 07 95 you sent a Plea for information to cypherpunks-
@toad.com.

You said:

  I would be interested in learning more about the politics and
  mathematics of cryptography....

  [snip]

  ...I would like to know how best to understand cryptography -
  I have a textbook on the basic mathematical concepts under-
  lying the techniques but it is too advanced for my current
  knowledge in this field (A-level - ie. end of high school),
  please can you suggest a good starting place for me.

I suggest you lay aside the maths for a time and buy a copy
of:

    Bruce Schneier
    E-Mail Security. How to Keep Your Electronic Messages
      Private
    John Wiley & Sons, Inc
    1995

I enquired this morning at Wiley's NY office and was told:

    (a) the book is available in the UK

    (b) the phone number of Wiley's Chichester office is

                44 1243 779 777

Here's the book's Contents in Brief:

Part I:  Privacy and Electronic Mail
             Chapter   1: The Problem
             Chapter   2: Encryption
             Chapter   3: Key Management
             Chapter   4: Authentication
             Chapter   5: Certificates
             Chapter   6: Keeping Your Private Key Private
             Chapter   7: Odds and Ends
             Chapter   8: Patents, Governments, and Export Laws

Part II: Achieving Electronic-Mail Privacy
             Chapter   9: Requirements and Features
             Chapter  10: Privacy Enhanced Mail (PEM)
             Chapter  11: Pretty Good Privacy (PGP)
             Chapter  12: Comparing PGP and PEM
             Chapter  13: Attacks Against PGP and PEM

Appendix A: Pretty Good Privacy
Appendix B: Privacy Enhanced Mail

Appendix A = PGP User's Guide. Volume I: Essential Topics.
Appendix B = Request for Comments: 1421.

To study the book --not the same thing as just reading it--
you will need PGP to experiment with.  An ingenious lad
should have little trouble...

After you have some concrete experience, it'll be easier to
see the relevance of the maths.

As regards "the politics...of cryptography," this excerpt
from the book's Foreward by William Murray should pique your
interest:

  To the extent that E-mail proves to be important, we can
  expect to see many attempts on the part of government
  to coopt it in much the same way that they have coopted
  the paper mail system.  The excuses that it will use to
  do so will be related to security.  It will repeat the
  claim of Cromwell's government ["many  dangerous and wick-
  ed designs...are daily contrived against the welfare of
  this Commonwealth"] and will create whatever evidence is
  required to convince the people of the validity of the
  claim. Arguments to the contrary notwithstanding, the real
  motive will be to maintain political control and influence.

Oklahoma?  Whatever...

Cordially,

Jim