Timing RSA and Certificates worth ??

lyal collins lyalc at mail.mpx.com.au
Tue Dec 12 16:45:02 PST 1995

My limited mind induces me to think that a certificate become subject to
timing attacks on the RSA private signing key.
This appears to meet the main critieria of fixed data (for instance, a
bank's certificate in/on ecash), processed widely by a small group of
machines (eg a subset of customers) on inherently untrusted machines (home
PC's) which may or may not have the right software/operating system parts.
Certificates in general, do not appear to lend themselves to "blinding".

In this case, certificate verification  processes seem flawed and highly
unreliable.
eg a merchant gets lots of data containing a bank(s) certificate, and
probably encrypted data.
Is this the death knell for STT/SEPP and ecash/echeque systems ???

Some ramblings and thoughts.
lyal