Third generation privacy

tallpaul tallpaul at pipeline.com
Mon Dec 11 22:58:46 PST 1995

On Dec 11, 1995 13:07:22, '"Ed Carp (ecarp at netcom.com)"
<khijol!netcom.com!ecarp>' wrote:

>Another, not-so-obvious reason to encrypt stuff, especially stuff
>that goes out over the net, is that folks can suck your email off the
>net and gather all sorts of useful information.  This has all kinds
>of annoying implications, especially for people who gather
>demographics and other data for constructing email lists for sale.
>
>-- short ed

Another related issue is what I'll call "third generation" privacy. This
exists when I want privacy not for myself or even the person with whom I'm
communicating but to protect the privacy of innocent third parties. E.g.:

Grandpa is getting senile and I'm communicating with a second family member

on how we should handle the problem;

My friend Jane was just raped and I'm communicating with a mutual friend
about how we can help her.

The anti-freedom forces have tried to define the parameters of the debate
inside the boundaries of the "four horsemen." We need to understand that we

do not have to remain within those false boundaries and, in fact, it is
very good not to.

--tallpaul