[NOISE] GAK and self-incrimination?

Ed Carp (ecarp@netcom.com) khijol!netcom.com!ecarp at cygnus.com
Mon Dec 11 22:27:46 PST 1995

> Date:          Mon, 11 Dec 1995 09:01:40 -0500
> To:            Bill Stewart <stewarts at ix.netcom.com>
> Subject:       Re: [NOISE] GAK and self-incrimination?
> From:          tallpaul at pipeline.com (tallpaul)
> Cc:            cypherpunks at toad.com

> If I'm not guilty why do I want strong crypto? Sometimes for the same
> reason I want a shredder.  And why do I want a shredder? Sometimes just to
> keep the local gossip from going through my papers after I throw them out.

Another, not-so-obvious reason to encrypt stuff, especially stuff
that goes out over the net, is that folks can suck your email off the
net and gather all sorts of useful information.  This has all kinds
of annoying implications, especially for people who gather
demographics and other data for constructing email lists for sale.

-- short ed