Escrow expectations

Brian Davis bdavis at thepoint.net
Sat Dec 9 22:40:16 PST 1995

On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Duncan Frissell writes:
>  > At 09:17 AM 12/8/95 -0500, Adam Shostack wrote:
>  >
>  > >	"Your honor, we argue that in escrowing his keys with the US
>  > >government, the defendant should have known his communications could
>  > >be listened to, and thus has no expectation of privacy."
>  >
>  > If Clipper were mandated you might be able to resist a prosecution for
>  > "failure to file" keys or for double encrypting your transmissions if you
>  > could prove that you were transmitting illegal messages or evidence of a
>  > crime.  Just as those who possess illegal weapons are not required to
>  > register them (self incrimination).  You have to be sure your traffic is
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are mistaken here.  Failure to get a permit before turning a
semi-auto firearm into a fully-auto machine gun, for example, is illegal
as is possessing an unregistered machine gun ...

EBD

>  > illegal though otherwise no protection.
>
> To bring two cypherpunks threads together:
>
> That SHIT should be FUCK no DAMN problem ANAL whatsoever in a few SEX
> months.
>
> -russ <nelson at crynwr.com>    http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
> Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | PGP ok
> 11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 voice | Flushing, NY.  Not just a suburb,
> Potsdam, NY 13676 | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | it's a good idea in general.

Not a lawyer on the Net, although I play one in real life.
Flame away! I get treated worse in person every day!!