Netscape announces position against GAK

Dan Weinstein djw at pdcorp.com
Sat Dec 9 16:47:06 PST 1995

On Sat, 9 Dec 1995 16:59:13 -0600 (CST), Frank Stuart
<fstuart at vetmed.auburn.edu> wrote:

>To avoid just saying "me too", I'll throw out another idea on making the U.S.
>version of Netscape available to U.S. users over the Internet.  How about a
>phone number to call to get an access id of some sort that can be used to
>FTP the software.  When you call the number, you can use caller-id to verify
>that the person is calling from within the U.S.  You could set up a BBS-type
>system to do this automatically, or make the phone number a 900 number and
>charge a few dollars to cover your costs.  You could also set up the access
>id so that it can only be used once.

Couldn't caller ID be fooled by call forwarding?  I am anything but an
expert on caller ID, but this seems like a possible loop hole.  This
would cause the same kind of problem that is holding up placing the
U.S. version on the Web.

Dan Weinstein
djw at pdcorp.com
http://www.earthlink.net/~danjw
PGP public key is available from my Home Page.
All opinions expressed above are mine.

"I understand by 'freedom of Spirit' something quite definite -
the unconditional will to say No, where it is dangerous to say
No.
           Friedrich Nietzsche