Strange Unix behavior dealing with utmp - anyone recognize this?

Dr. Frederick B. Cohen fc at all.net
Thu Dec 7 19:33:00 PST 1995

I was sending out a few hundred 25K emails over a period of a minute or so
when my systemn encountered this thrilling sequence:

Dec  7 22:11:56 all vmunix: file:<3>zs1: silo overflow
Dec  7 22:11:57 all syslogd: /etc/utmp: File table overflow
Dec  7 22:11:56 all vmunix:  table is ful<3>zs1: silo overflow

It appears to be some sort of file table overflow related to the syslog
daemon.  The message repeats numerous times and I think it has to do
with the number of messages sent over a short time, however:

	I regularly send far more messages without this error
	It lost the processes that were generating these messages
		so I had to redo part of the mailing.

Does anyone recognize the symptom, and does this open a potential for
attack by stress?  (e.g., if you can get something to fail in this way
can the failure cause something to be missed?)

Just thought I'd mention it.

-> See: Info-Sec Heaven at URL http://all.net/
Management Analytics - 216-686-0090 - PO Box 1480, Hudson, OH 44236