FW: websurfer 4.6

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Thu Dec 7 11:24:01 PST 1995

On  7 Dec 95 at 18:06, Enzo Michelangeli wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Dec 1995, Michael Froomkin wrote:
>
> > so much for compatibility....guess I'm sticking with netscape
> > for now.
>
> These guys at Netmanage's support seem to confuse Trumpet's
> version number with the Winsock version... Trumpet 2.0b (as,
> AFAIK, any other Winsock package presently available) is
> Winsock 1.1 compliant.

Not surprising. They confuse random doodling with software, too.

The real problem with NetManage is a severe case of brain death.
The Sampler TCP/IP sucks, the paid-up TCP/IP is so-so, but of
the clients, only ftp is fair, and the rest bite. All the
NetManage clients I've tried crater, Mail can't rebuild its
index structures if they are corrupted (uh, what was it that
rebuild was supposed to do, Harvey?), the version of WebSurfer
I evaluated took longer and longer to load and shut down,
revealed on inspection to be due to loading/storing a very wordy
global history in its, ahem, config file! Delete it and your
config is gone.

I wouldn't concern myself with what crypto is or isn't in a
NetManage product -- they are not players as far as I'm
concerned. They've been riding the wave of their TCP/IP not
crashing as often as some others, but otherwise they're vacuum
packed, untouched by coherent human thought.