Barring access to Netscape

Alan Olsen alano at teleport.com
Wed Dec 6 10:40:21 PST 1995

At 03:28 PM 12/1/95 -0500, you wrote:

>You can get your server to simply put that at the top of every page
>served to a Netscape client, followed by a horizontal line and the
>normal web page. It should be easy to put together the hacks to do
>that and get them out to lots of people. Watch how fast people would
>switch from Netscape, especially were it widely deployed. You would
>then watch a fast fall in Netscape stock, which would likely piss Jim
>Clark off far more than anything else one could do.

This type of page hack is pretty easy.  Take a look at _HTML & CGI
Unleashed_ from Netsams press.  Page 410 has a script that can be easily
modified to do something similar.  (Great book, but lacks some of the more
advanced server redirect tricks I have seen elsewhere.)  The example is for
displaying an optional display for browsers that cannot deal with image
maps.  It can be altered to do the same to any browser.

>We need HTML 3.0 capable browsers for all platforms, though.

They (the W3O) need to agree what HTML 3.0 consists of before that will
happen soon...

|       What is the Eye in the Food Pyramid?      | alano at teleport.com   |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmerman unites all| Disclaimer:          |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!" | Ignore the man       |
|`finger -l alano at teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key |  behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.teleport.com/~alano/         |       <fnord>        |