Info on Netscape's key escrow position

James M. Cobb jcobb at ahcbsd1.ovnet.com
Tue Dec 5 08:47:12 PST 1995

Blanc,

On 12 02 95 you pointed to:

   ...an underlying problem, which is of not having a sense
   of freedom to stand up to the Dark Side.

You have put your finger on perhaps THE problem: Why did
we cast aside our sense of freedom?  How may we re-ignite
the spirit of freedom?

I believe excerpts from a newsstory in today's Electronic
Telegraph provide a hint regarding the first question:

   JOHN Major and Lord Taylor, the Lord Chief Justice, are to
   have informal talks at No 10 Downing Street in an attempt
   to avert a deepening rift between Government and judiciary.

   The meeting has been arranged following concern over the
   number of adverse court judgments against ministerial de-
   cisions and mounting opposition by judges to plans by Mi-
   chael Howard, the Home Secretary, to impose tougher man-
   datory sentences on habitual criminals.

   It was being emphasised in Whitehall last night that the in-
   formal meeting was intended to explore ways of improving
   relations. It was in no sense an attempt to put pressure on
   the judges.

   It emerged last night that Mr Major and Lord Taylor are like-
   ly to discuss ways of increasing the pay of the judiciary.
   Senior judges are said to be aggrieved that their salaries
   have fallen behind.

In no sense is one part of the the State putting pressure on
another part of the State...

Through every sense, the populace is trained to appreciate
the justice of

             not having a sense of freedom to stand up

Except at the pay window.

Cordially,

Jim

                              NOTE

             The URL of The Electronic Telegraph's website is:

             http://www.telegraph.co.uk

             The newsstory's headlined: "Pay and peace talks
             for judges."  Its online filename is: 1judge05.html.
             It's dated 12 05 95.

             The story was written by: GEORGE JONES and
             TERENCE SHAW.