Do the Right Thing

Ed Carp ecarp at netcom.com
Mon Dec 4 18:26:03 PST 1995

> Date:          Mon, 4 Dec 1995 01:42:25 -0800
> To:            cypherpunks at toad.com
> From:          anonymous-remailer at shell.portal.com
> Subject:       Re: Do the Right Thing

> On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, Timothy C. May wrote:
>

> > Netscape, being the dominant browser company, and Microsoft, being the
> > dominant OS company, are in special positions to "build in Big Brother."
> > I'm not claiming they are, just that they are clearly in a position to make
> > it technologically more feasible to make non-GAK illegal. They both need to
> > carefully think about the role that's been "given" to them (whether by
> > fortune, hard work, or being in the right place at the right time) and do
> > what's right.
>
> That's always a tough position to be in.  If Netscape or Microsoft
> knew what was the "right" thing to do, I don't doubt that they'd be
> doing it.

That's one of the most politically and socially naive statements I've
ever heard.  Corporations *never* do the "right thing" unless it will
increase their profits.  Remember, corporations are in business to
make money by providing a product or service that people will pay
money for.  Whatever gets in the way of that will fall by the
wayside.  That's an economic fact of life.