ANNOUNCEMENT: ALICE'S ADDRESS REVEALED.

Don M. Kitchen don at cs.byu.edu
Mon Dec 4 02:29:17 PST 1995

Laszlo Vecsey <master at internexus.net> said:

> I don't think that was a smart thing to do. Your real email is now
> registered in some database in Finland - how difficult would it be to
> retrieve it? From what I remember organizations like Scientology had no

Not _nearly_ as hard as breaking/finding an appropriately encrypted key.

I for one am not going to even bother with the penet address unless the
posts come from there. After all, it's a forgery anyway. The real Alice
already posted a PGP key. I wouldn't be reading this list if I were
going to fall over for a simple impersonation.

Of course, if our impersonating, trusts-penet-not-PGP-coworkers-think-
of-everything-but-a-packet-sniffer Alice were to post from penet,
then everyone (including procmail ;) would have to believe his claims
of pseudo-identity.

I must say, L.D. is really falling all over himself this time. Maybe
he's just trying to make people *think* he's a cryptobungler, so that he
can keep his other tentacles with whom he converses out of suspicion.

Don

Wishing Emacs had IMAP support cuz here comes mailcrypt