Do the Right Thing

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Dec 3 13:41:19 PST 1995

At 12:22 PM 12/3/95 -0800, Timothy C. May wrote:
>Netscape, being the dominant browser company, and Microsoft, being the
>dominant OS company, are in special positions to "build in Big Brother."

Bill Gates, after some ducking, weaving, and equivocating, has said
that GAK is a violation of our right to privacy.

Jim Clark has said that GAK is the government benevolently protecting
our privacy.

I hope to see a "clarification" of Clark's position soon, and I am
far from happy with the "clarification" provided by Jeff.

> Netscape is becoming the yellow corn of the Web, and an obvious
> "choke point" for the NSA and its sisters to mandate crypto policies.
> Hence, the role of non-yellow-corn alternatives...)

I recommend Mosaic, much improved in its latest release, and, unlike
Netscape, standards compliant.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd at echeque.com