Use of PGP as an export?

Ted Cabeen cabeen at netcom.com
Sat Dec 2 19:28:14 PST 1995

I think this has been brought up before, but I could only find one reference
to it in the archives and it wasn't too helpful, so I'll ask again.  If a
university provided a copy of PGP for use on their unix machines and a
non-resident, non-citizen *used* the copy of PGP on the server, but did not
download it onto their own machine, but instead just ran PGP on the server
alone, would it be a violation of the ITAR?  My school is interested in
putting a copy of PGP on the university server and wants to know if they
should somehow restrict access to citizens and legal residents only.  Thanks.
Ted Cabeen                                                  cabeen at netcom.com
Finger for PGP Public Key                        secabeen at midway.uchicago.edu
"I have taken all knowledge to be my province."            cococabeen at aol.com