Getting a copy of the Jim Clark speech

Alan Olsen alano at teleport.com
Sat Dec 2 17:09:16 PST 1995

At 09:47 PM 11/29/95 -0800, you wrote:
>At 09:43 PM 11/30/95 -0600, Frank Stuart wrote:
>> I'm working on an "obnoxify" program to convert
>> normal html documents into documents that look
>> normal to non-netscape browsers, but are too painful to
>> read with netscape (</BLINK>, <FONT SIZE=1>, etc.).
>> I think tomorrow evening would be a good time to decide
>> whether or not to distribute it.
>
>Is there any way one could set up a dirty pictures web
>page in such a fashion that it would be difficult, painful,
>and impractical to get at the pictures through that page
>with a netscape browser?

It would not be very hard.  You just need to have all connections go through
a CGI script first.  There is a variable that reports the client to the
server.  Just bounce them to an error if the variable starts with "Mozilla".

Also, you do not need access to the server code to do this if you are using
NCSA.  There is a way you can force execution of CGI scripts from your local
directory using an .htaccess file.  (It requires using an "addtype" command
to enable the cgi parsing.)  I will have to dig out the exact mime type
required.

If I get some working Netscape bounce code, I will post it here.  (Actually
I want one that bounces AOL users to the Mr. Rogers home page on pbs.org.)
|      Poly wants *more* than one cracker!        | alano at teleport.com   |
|"It's only half a keyserver. I had to split the  | Disclaimer:          |
|other half with the government man." - R. Rococo |   Ignore the man     |
|`finger -l alano at teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key |  behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.teleport.com/~alano/         |       <fnord>        |