Info Foes

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Sat Dec 2 07:25:28 PST 1995

   Strategic Forum

                      THE REVOLUTION IN MILITARY AFFAIRS

   Martin Libicki, CDR James Hazlett, et al.

[Excerpts]

  DISCUSSION I: STRATEGIC CHALLENGES

   Those who assess future strategic challenges tend to look to
Asian
   countries, and to categorize competitors as peer, regional,
or niche.

    Asia and the Nation-State

    Most conference participants believe that, over the next
twenty
   years, the fulcrum of world politics will continue to shift
from
   Europe and its peripheries to the Asia-Pacific region. The
period of
   European dominance produced innumerable wars as various
countries
   challenged each other for power, resources, and sovereignty.
With the
   formation of the European Union and the dissolution of the
Warsaw
   Pact, great power rivalry in particular and the nation-state
in
   general are fading somewhat in importance.

   The nation-state remains strong in Asia, however. The last
fifty years
   have seen considerable economic progress as various nations
have made
   themselves richer by grasping the secrets of rapid
industrialization.
   This trend, which started in Japan in the 1950s and 1960s,
spread to
   the Tigers in the 1970s, ASEAN countries in the 1980s, and
China and
   perhaps India in the 1990s, has left no Asian country
unaffected.
   Economic growth, however, has not made the nation-state
obsolete. To
   the contrary, the nation-state has been instrumental in
creating the
   internal and external conditions for economic growth.
European history
   suggests that countries, once they taste wealth, will
struggle for
   power. Will Asian countries follow that pattern or
demonstrate new
   models of what the nation-state is capable of? ...

    Types of Competitors

   One taxonomy of future threats suggested at the conference
is to
   classify potential competitors as peer, regional, or niche.
A peer
   competitor could challenge our military across the board. A
niche
   competitor would be incapable of doing so, but would strive
to inhibit
   or defeat U.S. intervention by developing capabilities such
as
   primitive weapons of mass destruction, sensor blinders,
physical
   terrorism, information system attacks, psychological
operations, or
   hostage maneuvers. ...

  DISCUSSION II: OPERATIONAL CHALLENGES

   Considerable evidence suggests that commercial access to
information
   -- GPS readings, space-based imagery, and Internet data --
could be
   transformed into military advantage thereby levelling the
playing
   field between ourselves and our potential opponents. Other
dual-use
   technologies, for instance, those that would permit remote
piloting of
   aerial vehicles, permit commercial technologies such as
electronic
   video photography to act as powerful military tools
accessible to all
   (RPVs are made in more than thirty countries).

    Technologies That Level the Field

   Does the proliferation in information technologies
necessarily negate
   our current military lead? Information-based warfare creates
new
   vulnerabilities for industrial-age institutions slow to
adapt. Because
   most U.S. logistics facilities and command nodes are not
well hidden,
   they are vulnerable to precision strike. The widespread
availability
   of overhead imagery coupled with GPS integration into weapon
systems--
   no more than a few years away for countries such as
India--poses a
   serious threat to which our improving defensive measures
(e.g.,
   anti-tactical ballistic missiles) will provide only a
partial solution

   . Our own counter-C2 operations are complicated by the
rapidly falling
   cost of bandwidth and redundancy. Even if 90 percent of a
bit flow can
   be interdicted, the remaining 10 percent may suffice for
operational
   uses. Rapid expansion of cellular nodes, particularly
through
   exploitation of commercial space assets, may make targeting
and
   communications denial difficult or impossible. Multiple
channels of
   electronic access will also complicate psychological
operations and
   countermeasures.

    With the advent of the global information infrastructure, a
clever
   adversary could take advantage of open information systems
to enhance
   its own communications, information, navigation,
intelligence, and
   operational support: examples include GPS, one-meter
imagery, weather
   data, and even CNN. Every year more information with
potential
   military use can be gleaned by anyone from the Internet
without
   leaving fingerprints. How easily can a country's access to
the global
   satellite communications networks be blocked? The coming
global
   information infrastructure will have many points of entry.
It will
   also be difficult to curtail certain services (e.g., global
   navigation) without denying them to U.S. users or even our
own
   national security establishment.

    Technologies that Keep Us Ahead

   The United States, nevertheless, retains an edge in two
important
   areas: space and systems integration. Space systems are
relatively
   difficult to build and although many potential middle-income
   adversaries can borrow space services from third parties,
fewer can
   own satellites, and far fewer can launch them. Thus the
United States
   will retain a clear edge in the size and sophistication
(timeliness
   and interpretation) of space capabilities, in their adoption
and
   adaptation for military uses, in their augmentation or
adaptation for
   the particulars of future contingencies, and in the
assurance of their
   continuity.

   The distinctions between data and information, and between
information
   and knowing could also favor U.S. forces. There are vast
differences
   between, for instance, access to meteorological imagery and
   determining, for instance, that a locus of operations is
likely to be
   fogged in 24 hours hence (a distinction relevant to the
Falklands
   campaign). The art of operational planning is not acquired
   automatically with the acquisition of computers. Similarly,
as sensors
   proliferate in type as well as numbers, data fusion is
likely to
   become more decisive in future conflicts. ...

POLICY RECOMMENDATIONS

    Two conference threads merit further examination:

     * U.S. defense policies that make it more difficult for
potential
       competitors to threaten their neighbors and hold off the
United
       States at the same time may be worth pursuing for that
fact alone.

     * If militarily relevant information technologies are
everywhere,
       sophistication at using them may be a better predictor
of how
       challenging a competitor may become for the United
States.
       Therefore, in addition to worrying about how large
future foes are
       (and sizing our own forces accordingly), we should also
focus on
       the potential sophistication of our foes (and develop
doctrine
       accordingly).