No Privacy Right in UK ? - Part 3

James M. Cobb jcobb at ahcbsd1.ovnet.com
Fri Dec 1 21:47:10 PST 1995

Friend,

A 12 01 95 The Electronic Telegraph newsstory headlined

         Policeman bugs own station by mistake

reports:

   ...a listening device was found at the headquarters of
   Lothian and Borders Police in Edinburgh.

   The "bug", disguised to look like a plug adaptor, picked up
   the day-to-day business of the operations room, including
   radio and telephone messages and conservations between
   staff.

Conservations between staff?  Conversations in which not a
word is wasted?

   Its presence was discovered when staff in a rest area tried
   to tune a radio to a different station and picked up the voices
   of their colleagues.

I used to despise those who couldn't keep their hands off the
dial for 5 minutes, but since reading this story my attitude's
been adjusted.

   Concerned that secrets were being transmitted abroad, the
   force "swept" the control room with anti-bugging technology,
   only to find that the device belonged to them.

   It had been "planted" by an officer who thought it was a real
   adaptor.

Of course I believe that!

For what comes around...goes around.

Cordially,

Jim

NOTE.  The Electronic Telegraph website's URL:

       http://www.telegraph.co.uk

       The newsstory's by:

       AUSLAN CRAMB, SCOTTISH CORRESPONDENT

       Its online filename: 1bugs01.html