Barring access to Netscape

Simon Spero ses at tipper.oit.unc.edu
Fri Dec 1 00:59:25 PST 1995

On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, Ed Carp wrote:

> I believe that Netscape uses "Mozilla" as their keyword when
> exchanging browser-specific information.

The field is User-Agent. However, blocking access to users of Navigator
isn't a particularly useful thing to do. If you must do something, why
not modify your GET handler to add a header to the start of all html
pages informing people of the problem, and suggesting alternatives.

Someone else [I can't remember, but I'll call them Alice] claimed that the
security problems showing up were part of a deliberate conspiracy.  To
anyone who knows anything about the history of these things knows how
absurd this is. The principals at Netscape are a nice bunch of really
guys, but were not really up to speed on issues like security and
networking- for example, the first incarnation of SSL had an RC4 stream
running with no checksumming whatsoever. The security problems that
resulted are due to the learning curve.

Simon