Mixmaster Security Issues

Lance Cottrell loki at obscura.com
Thu Aug 31 12:33:30 PDT 1995

At 12:38 PM 8/31/95, Richard Hodges wrote:
>Lance Cottrell writes:
>
>>Because of the message size limitations there are some advantages to
>>sending the mixmaster chain through some type 1 remailers first, rather
>>than sending a type 1 message in a Mixmaster packet.
>
>Are there any gateways that will take a (pgp-encrypted) type 1 message,
>with presumably some kind of headers giving onward routing information and
>put it into the type 2 network?
>
>Should there be such a service? I think this was discussed earlier, but
>Lance's statement above seems to reopen the discussion.
>

>>It is very difficult to know what fraction of the traffic I see is cover. I
>>generate some cover traffic my self, and I know some others do as well.
>>Right now a reordering pool of 5 messages results in a latency of about 30
>>min. Mixmaster is no longer a small fraction of the remailer market. A
>>majority of all public remailers support Mixmaster.
>
>What is the total daily volume of mixmaster traffic for all the advertised
>mixmasters? Has anyone measure this statistic?
>
>Regards,
>Richard Hodges

You don't need anything this fancy. Just have Mixmaster dump the message to
a file rather than sending it (-o option). Then make that the message you
send through the type 1 chain, and make the first Mixmaster remailer the
final destination of the type 1 chain.

        -Lance

Lance Cottrell   loki at obscura.com
PGP 2.6 key available by finger or server.
Mixmaster, the next generation remailer, is now available!
http://obscura.com/~loki/Welcome.html or FTP to obscura.com

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly
it flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night the ice
weasels come."
                        --Nietzsche