CIA & Espionage

Jonathan Zamick JonathanZ at consensus.com
Wed Aug 30 11:32:59 PDT 1995

At 10:02 AM 8/30/95, Dar Scott wrote:
>In responding to Hadmut John Young seems to have quoted IWR Daily
>Update in writing,
>>  UNITED STATES - CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY (CIA)
>>
>>   President Clinton has ordered the CIA to make economic
>>espionage
>>   against our trade rivals a top priority. [sources: Los
>>Angeles Times-
>>   Washington, by James Risen, 7/23/95; Kyodo - Los Angeles,
>>7/23/95]
>
>Are we to assume both black and white?
>
>Will the CIA have access to escrowed keys in exported software?

Perhaps if economic espionage is such a high priority, then we'll have
to start using more secure keys in the future. After all, any international
corporation limited to using limited bit encryption schemes is just asking
for its rivals to start grabbing the traffic and stealing their information.

Jonathan