Sierra On-Line FAQ

NCSA HTTPd www at www.sierra.com
Sun Aug 27 02:05:29 PDT 1995

(Following is a FAQ for the SierraWeb Welcome Kit)

Welcome to SIERRAWEBª

Here is some helpful information which we hope can answer a range
of  possible  questions.  At  Sierra On-line, we want to make all
your visits to our web site most enjoyable.

SIERRAWEB FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Q: How do I log on to the Sierra On-line web site?

A: The SierraWeb address on the World Wide Web is

                                        http://www.sierra.com/

Since this document was most likely sent to you along  with  your
password  verification then you've already signed on to SierraWeb
once.

Q: What do I do with the verification code-words you e-mailed  to
me?

A:  Log back on to SierraWeb by typing our address  in  your  web
browser.  Then,  after  typing in your name and password, type in
the Verification Code-Word and you'll be  officially  registered.
This  is  the  only time you'll have to type in your Verification
Code unless you re-register again.

Q: Why does SierraWeb use a password and verification code-word?

A: We ask for your name and email address to confirm the  unique-
ness  of every member.  It allows us to a.) customize the service
for each individual member's preferences and b.) help  us  better
understand the demographic profile our membership and c.) prevent
abuse of the website such as unauthorized orders or  the  use  of
offensive language.  All in all, we want to get to know you as an
individual.

Q: What if I forget my password?

A: At SierraWeb, you choose your own password so we hope it  will
be  easy  to remember.  If you forget it, then you'll need to re-
register and pick a new one.

Q: How do I change the look and links of my personal User Page?

A.  Just one of the things that makes SierraWeb unique is that it
allows  you  to  change  the way you view much of the information
that is available.  Special 'looks' will change the  web  control
page  bars  at the top and bottom of the page as well as the page
background.  (Can't view backgrounds on your browser  :^(  ,  you
can still change your control bars.) For instance, you can choose
an Arcade 'look' by choosing 'Arcade' from the pop-up menu at the
bottom  right  of  your  SierraWeb  Personal Page.  If you're in-
terested in Football or  Baseball,  you  might  select  the  'Box
Seats' look. Do you like outer space and science fiction? Try out
the Space Command  look.  Here's a chart to help you  choose  the
look or looks that you might like

If you like...				You might try...

Adventure games like			Myth and Magic
King's Quest

Mother Goose or Playtoons		'Family Fun'

Comedy like Space Quest or		'Comedy'
Leisure Suit Larry or
Woodruff & the Schnibble

Children's Learning			'Kid Smarts'

Reality Role Playing			'9-1-1'

Action/Arcade				'Arcade'

Air/Sea Battle Simulations	       	'Combat'

Football/Baseball		        'Sports Fan'

Horror/Mystery/Suspense		        'Frightful'

...and more!  Plus you can choose from a selection of pure colored backgrounds

Q: What does the LINK change do?  A:  Along  with  changing  your
'look' on SierraWeb, you can also change your 'Link.' A 'link' is
a direct click-jump  to  a  Sierra  game  category  (also  called
genre).   There  are  a  number of categories of games at Sierra.
Here is a brief list.

ACTION
ADVENTURE
COMEDY
KIDS
EDUCATION
FAMILY
SIMULATION
SPORTS
...and more!

To create a link directly to a category, select  the  'Link'  you
want  to  jump to and click on the change button.  The new 'Link'
you select will appear in the Link window.

Q:   Back to the 'looks,' I noticed that I have a choice  between
a full page's background and a GIF tile.  What's the difference?

A: The full page background is a page  backdrop  from  an  actual
Sierra  game.  Since these files are generally around 30K in size
you'll either need to have a fast modem, say 14,400 or 28,800  or
some patience.  (They're worth waiting for!).  If you are using a
slower modem, or would like a change of  pace,  choose  the  tile
looks.   These files load much quicker since they are quite a bit
smaller in size.

Q: I can't see any backgrounds on my page.