An article for Wired magazine

hallam at w3.org hallam at w3.org
Mon Aug 14 18:59:41 PDT 1995

I'm less worried about the annonymity aspect than the security aspect. The
reported Mondex approach is less than impressive.

The major problem with DigiCash is the patent portfollio. I don't much like the
idea of David Chaum replacing the government as the controller of the money
supply. Sorry, I just don't.

The problem with Chaum's work is that it is unbalanced. He considers only the
privacy aspect. The prevention of extortion aspect he does not consider.
DigiCash have never addressed the baby-napping protocol problem as far as I am
aware.

Governments have certain rights in our society that individuals do not. This is
justified by their being democratically accountable. I don't think we should
readily agree to surrender those rights. Do you want the world of the future to
be controlled by Bill Gates, Ted Turner and David Chaum?