IPSEC goes to RFC

Matthew Ghio ghio at cmu.edu
Thu Aug 10 18:56:33 PDT 1995

sdw at lig.net (Stephen D. Williams) wrote:

> I really like the idea of using DNS for (public I assume) keys...

I don't.

Public keys in the DNS is a bad idea because it makes it difficult to
update the database, especially in large organizations.  When a host's
key is issued or changed then they would have to get the nameserver
admin to change it for them.  This could become a major problem/
inconvenience for many, many people.  The host should be able to give
its own key in response to a query.  That key could, of course, be
signed by any number of trusted signators to guarentee authenticity.