alt.politics.org.cia

Jim Ray liberty at gate.net
Tue Aug 8 20:13:54 PDT 1995

Pat Farrell <pfarrell at netcom.com> wrote:

<snip>

>But this raises a question (please, not to start a f-war)
>as to what is a "spook"?

<snip>

>Are contractors such as Mitre, E-Systems, and TRW, who do mega-dollars
>of work each year considered spooks? I think some are, as they are
>effectively out-sourced civil servants.

I think the spook-test, to be fair, needs to be based on something
objective, like equipment carried or used. Guns are an easy "yes,"
as are certain listening devices, etc. Others can probably add to
this equipment list, and some of us, considering Mena, might include
drugs or large chunks of cash. I certainly would. <g>

>I guess I could simply walk into the Soviet Embassy and ask them
>where the US spooks are. It isn't a secret from anyone but uninformed
>citizens.

Amen. CIA office locations are much less "secret" in other countries
than they are in the US. Often, a taxi driver knows exactly where the
CIA "safehouses" are in many Latin-American countries.

<snip>

>Is there an ethical question buried here? Making it easy for another nut to
>kill mere working stiffs by posting the locations?

Yes, but these locations are no-doubt easy for motivated nuts to find.
"Military secrets are the most fleeting kind." [Spock on "Star Trek"]

>Disclaimer:  I'm kinda split on this, I've been on this list a long time,
>but my dad, wife, and brother work or worked in town for the government.
>I hope that Tim's revolution is quite and peaceful.

AGREED!
If it's not, it will fail. "War is the health of the state." [I forget
who said that.] Contra the many raving media accounts, the vast majority
in the libertarian/"anarchist" movement were and are quite opposed to
the idea of vigilante-murder through bombing Federal buildings full
of mere working stiffs, especially those of us who just happened to
be working in a Federal Building.
[I was. It wasn't any fun that day...] :-(
JMR
<snip>

Regards, Jim Ray

"The people will again respect the law when the law again respects
the will of the people." Jim Ray, Campaign '92
PGP key Fingerprint  51 5D A2 C3 92 2C 56 BE  53 2D 9C A1 B3 50 C9 C8
Key id. #  E9BD6D35
Support the Phil Zimmermann (Author of PGP) Legal Defense Fund!
email:  zldf at clark.net or visit http://www.netresponse.com/zldf

- ---
signature and forwarded.]