Provably Correct Crypto?

Nathan Zook nzook at bga.com
Tue Aug 1 22:44:30 PDT 1995

On Tue, 1 Aug 1995, Dr. Frederick B. Cohen was alleged to have blathered:

> Tim May mused:

> > Anything that "reaches out" to external libraries or utilities would then
> > have the vulnerabilities of _those_ libraries and utilities, which may or
> > may not be provably correct themselves. (And the issue of any PRNG being
> > probably correct or not is of course an interesting, and deep, question.)
> >
> > I do think the issues of modular design and provable correctness--or
> > approximations to it--are interesting ones.
>
> I think that this issue can generally be addressed by a divide and
> conquer strategy.  Prove that the called routines are correct and
> confined under all possible parameters, do the same for the calling
> routines, do the same for the interaction between them, and I think you
> have it.  This is pretty easy for one or two routines, but when you take
> the OS into account, the C compiler into account, the program itself
> into account, and the external environment into account, you run into
> some serious limitations.  For example, you may (in some cases) have to
> show that under all possible sequences of interrupt timings and stack
> conditions, the system operates correctly (which almost none currently
> do).  Unless you design with this sort of thing in mind, it's very hard
> to demonstrate these properties even for limited subproblems.

After all your griping over PGP, you spout this?  Have you ever heard of
Godel's theorem?  I have a phrase for people who peddle their mark of
approval that a given large program will work: "Snake oil salesman".  In
the messages which you have scrawled between this and the last on my
system when I caught up this evening, you have demonstrated the
fraudulent nature of your business by first claiming that certain
propositions were "demonstrated", then stating that a graduate student
was working on "proving" them.

I repeat: Snake Oil Salesman

<PLONK>