Friendly, neighborhood NSA...

David K. Merriman merriman at metronet.com
Fri Sep 30 22:23:18 PDT 1994

iiti.doc.gov
/pub/newitems/ii_inventory/app_projs/library
IITF APPLICATIONS PROJECT INVENTORY

APPLICATION AREA:
Adv. Network Tech.
Education Libraries

STATUS:
PILOT

DESCRIPTIVE DATA:
PROJECT:  Digital Librarian
LEAD AGENCY/ORGANIZATION:  NSA
CONTACT NAME:  Norma Davila
PHONE #:  301/688-7353
LEVEL OF EFFORT:
START DATE:  ongoing
COMPLETION DATE:

DESCRIPTION OF PROJECT:
The "Digital Librarian" links together the libraries where
information of any type (books, texts, pictures, audio, video,
multi-media, etc.) is stored to the librarians who assist the
users in navigating through these storehouses of knowledge.  This
project brings these ideas to the desktop by allowing a user to
gain access to any number of information sources, independent of
the originating development of the sources.  The information
sources can be anything from databases to online reference
materials to online training materials.  The user interacts with
these sources through one common interface.

In addition, this project enhances textual material searches by
providing a hypertext link capability for a user to navigate a
document in a more meaningful way.  Instead of just paging
through a document one page at a time, the system can bring the
user to the place in the document where the information is
located.  In the future, natural language and artificial
intelligence techniques will be exercised to increase user
efficiency in searching through the library storehouses of
knowledge.

KEY PRIVATE SECTOR ACTORS:
ORGANIZATION NAME:
CONTACT:
TELEPHONE  #:

Out of the kindness of it's heart, the NSA is going to build us all a nice,
new, improved WWW!

Isn't that just *too* kind of them?

I wonder why I have this feeling I'd better not turn my back on them.....
Finger merriman at metronet.com for PGP/RIPEM public keys and fingerprints.
Unencrypted Email may be ignored without notice to sender.  PGP preferred.
Remember: It is not enough to _obey_ Big Brother; you must also learn to
*love* Big Brother.