CEB - Sept 24, 1994

Gary Jeffers CCGARY at MIZZOU1.missouri.edu
Sat Sep 24 16:41:21 PDT 1994

         CYPHER-REBELS ELECTRONIC BOOK (CEB)  SEPTEMBER 24, 1994
                             ISSUE 3
                    Publisher Gary Lee Jeffers
                   ccgary at mizzou1.missouri.edu

   A compendium of the best software & info for today's electronic
privacy freedom fighters. This text may be distributed in part or
in full anywhere you want. It may be given away freely or copies
may be sold. CEB wants to be free & valuable.

If, as Chairman Mao says: "Political power grows out of the barrel of
a gun.", then what is democracy?

                   TABLE OF CONTENTS

Chapter 1. PGP
Section 1. PGP general
Section 2. Michael Johnson's PGP FAQ contribution
Section 3. Stealth PGP.

Chapter 2. Steganography. "A picture is worth a thousand words."

Chapter 3. Shells for PGP
Section 1. Christopher W. Geib's WinPGP26.ZIP
Section 2. Ross Barclay's WinFront 3.0

Chapter 4. Generally cool things.
Section 1. Loompanics sources.
Section 2. Viruses sources.

Chapter 5. Getting the Cypherpunks' archived & indexed list.

Chapter 6. Remailers & chained remailers.

Chapter 7. Current problems in Crypt.

Chapter 8. Text sources.
Section 1. Books
Section 2. Rants
Section 3. CYPHERNOMICON - Tim May's "official" Cypherpunks' FAQ.

Chapter 9. Cypherpunks' mailing list. getting on etc..

 CCCCCCCCCC    YYYY   YYYY    PPPPPP    HH    HH    EEEEEEE   RRRRRRRRR
 CCCCCCCCCC     YY   YY       PP  PP    HH    HH    EEEEEEE   RRRRRRRRR
 CCC            YY  YY        PP  PP    HH    HH    EE        RR     RR
 CCC            YY YY         PPPPPP    HHHHHHHH    EE        RR     RR
 CCC             YYY          PP        HHHHHHHH    EEEEEEE   RR     RR
 CCC             YYY          PP        HH    HH    EEEEEEE   RRRRRRRR
 CCC             YYY          PP        HH    HH    EE        RRRRRRR
 CCC             YYY          PP        HH    HH    EE        RRRRRR
 CCCCCCCCCC      YYY          PP        HH    HH    EE        RR RR
 CCCCCCCCCCC     YYY          PP        HH    HH    EEEEEEE   RR  RR
                              PP        HH    HH    EEEEEEE   RR   RR
    RRRRRRRRRRR                                               RR    RR
   RRRRRRRRRRRRRR                              EEEEEEEEE
   RRRRRRRRRRR    EEEEEEEEEEE   BBBBBBBB      EEEEEEEEEE         SSSSSSS
   RRRRRRRR         EEEEEEEEE   BBBBBBBBBBB   EE EEEEEEE       SSSSSSSSS
  RR   RRRR        EEEEEEEEEE   BBBBBBBBBB  EEEEEEE           SSSSSSSSS
 RRR     RRRR     EEEEEEEE      BBBBBBBB    EEEEEEE          SSSSSSSS
 RRR      RRRRR   EEEEEE        BBBBBB      EEEEEEEE       SSSSSSSSS
 RRRRRRRRRRRRRR   EEEEEEE       BBB         EEEEEEEEEEE    SSSSSSSSSS
 RRRRRRRRRRRRRR   EEEEEEEEEE    BB          EEEEEEEEEEE   SSSSSSS
 RRRRRRR  RRRR    EEEEEEEEEE    BBB         EEEEEEEEEEEEEE SSSSSSSSSSSSS
 RRR    RRRRR     EEEEEEEEEEEE  BBBBB       EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SSSSSSSSSSSS
 RRRRR   RR       EEEEEEEE      BBBBBBB     EEEEEEEEE         SSSSSSSSSS
 RR  RRRRR        EEEEEE        BBBBBBBBB   EEEEEEE          SSSSSSSSSS
 RR    RRRRR      EEEEEE        BBBBBBBBB   EEEEEEE         SSSSSSSSSS
 RRR   RRRRRR     EEEEEEEEEEE    BBBBBBBB   EEEEEEEEEEEE   SSSSSSSSSSS
 RRRR  RRRRRRR    EEEEEEEEEEEEE  BBBBBBB   EEEEEEEEEEEEE SSSSSSSSSSSS

            PPPPPPPPPPP       GGGGGGGGG            PPPPPPPPPPP
           PPPPPPPPPPP       GGGGGGGGG            PPPPPPPPPPP
          PPP       PP      GGG                  PPP       PP
         PPPPPPPPPPPP      GGG GGGGGGG          PPPPPPPPPPP
        PPPPPPPPPP        GGG  GGGGGGG         PPPPPPPP
       PPP               GGG        GG        PPP
      PPP               GGGGGGGGGGGGG        PPP
     PPP                GGGGGGGGGGGG        PPP

Chapter 1. PGP general.

PGP is Pretty Good Privacy from Phil Zimmermann. It is currently the
best available encryption available to civilians at large.
Zimmermann is the programmer on the original PGP versions but now,
apparently, just guides other programmers in making improved versions.
PGP uses two encryption algorithms: RSA for its Public Key powers &
IDEA for its bulk encryption. The advantages of PGP over other
crypt/decrypt systems are:
1. RSA algorithm. Allows users to communicate without needing a secure
channel to exchange keys. - PUBLIC KEY ENCRYPTION.
2. The program system has been very well done & has huge development
support.
3. It has huge popularity.
4. Security is guaranteed with distribution of source code & public
investigation.
5. Its free.
6. Both RSA & IDEA are "STRONG" algorithms.

MIT,s PGP 2.6 has the blessing of Zimmermann.
PGP 2.6 ui is believed to have Zimmermann's approval because he has not
attacked it. It is believed that Zimmermann will not endorse the ui
version due to possible legal problems.

Section 2: Michael Johnson's PGP FAQ contribution

Michael Paul Johnson <mpj at netcom.com> has an excellent faq on
Subject: Where to Get the Latest PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) FAQ
(Last modified: 7 September 1994 by Mike Johnson)

 You can get this faq by anonymous ftp to:
ftp.csn.net /mpj/getpgp.asc

It is also posted monthly on alt.security.pgp

   The latest versions of PGP are VIACRYPT PGP 2.7 , MIT PGP 2.6.1
& PGP 2.6ui. Which is best? I would say MIT PGP 2.6.1. It has source
code which VIACRYPT doesn't give you & it is more advanced than the
ui version. In comparing the MIT & ui versions, Michael Johnson
had this to say: "The "unofficial international" versions are
really just PGP 2.3a, modified just enough to make it compatible        ust
with MIT PGP 2.6, but do not include all of the fixes in MIT PGP 2.6     the
and MIT PGP 2.6.1.  They are named pgp26ui* or have "ui" somewhere       a
in their file names." In his faq, he gives some instances in which      sions
the ui version might be preferable.

Section 3: Michael Johnson's PGP bomb contribution.
From: Michael Johnson <mpj at csn.org>
Subject: PGP Time Bomb FAQ

PGP TIME BOMB FAQ

Michael Johnson writes:
"There has been some confusion about the annoying "Time Bomb" in MIT PGP2.6,
as well as some other PGP version compatibility issues. This is an attempt to
clear up some of that confusion."

You can get this faq by anonymous ftp to:
ftp.csn.net /mpj/pgpbomb.asc

Section 3. Stealth PGP                                                   37

   Stealth PGP refers to a PGP file that does not have the
RSA prefix tag on the beginning of a PGP encrypted file or to PGP
utility software that disguises this tag. Possibly, a later version
of PGP with have this as an option.

   The advantages of "Stealthy" PGP are that its files  cannot be found
by Internet search programs that hunt for the PGP/RSA tag & that a
"Stealthy" file may be more securely hidden by a good steganography
program.