Cyphernomicon FAQ -- Review in "Wired"

rishab at dxm.ernet.in rishab at dxm.ernet.in
Fri Sep 23 11:46:05 PDT 1994

tcmay at netcom.com (Timothy C. May):

> 1. Rishab Aiyer Ghosh tells me he has committed to write a review of the
> Cyphernomicon FAQ for "Wired," for either December or January publication.
> I had nothing to do with this, and it surprised me when he contacted me to
> notify me. (I reminded him of the "pre-release" status, the

It surprised _me_ that you put this on the list - magazines usually don't care
to announce their future stories so much in advance, but this is a little
review and cypherpunks are noted for their discretion ;-) so I guess it's ok.

As far as the "usefulness" of info on "advanced stuff", and the "questions it
will generate" - awareness is all about arousing curiousity. It will be a Good
Thing if people who keep reading about the nuclear terrorists and pedophiles
can come and see for themselves what _really_ goes on on the list. Of course
the membership may soar for a while before declining again, but _some_ new
useful people are bound to join.

> 3. Hal Abelson, Professor of Computer Science at MIT, has asked me if he
> could convert the FAQ into a Web document for his class on "ETHICS AND LAW

If he does a good job, then it would be nice. A web is really the best way to
browse through so much inter-related info.

> 4. Yes, I still have concerns about multiple, out-dated copies floating
> around. I worry about people going to great lengths to "Webify" the version

Come on. Responsible sysadmins regularly mirror updates - from the thousands of
PGP sites to the dozens who download 6 mb of movie databases each week. Every
one does not get in sync as soon as the new release is out, but these things
usually don't take more than a week.

> 5. Rishab is especially anxious to get CompuServe, AOL, etc., versions
> available, or referenced in his review in "Wired." Thus, if any of you want

Scott Loftesness (76703.407 at compuserve.com), the primary SysOp of CompuServe's
Telecom and Internet Forums says he'll have the Cyphernomicon in both forums:
TELECOM FORUM (GO TELECOM)
LIBRARY: NETWORK SECURITY (LIB 6)
FILENAME: CYPFAQ.ZIP

INTERNET FORUM (GO INETFORUM)
LIBRARY: RESOURCES-TECHNICAL (LIB 15)
FILENAME: CYPFAQ.ZIP

Worst comes to worst, WIRED can put it up in their forums at AOL etc.

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh             "Clean the air! clean the sky! wash the wind!
rishab at dxm.ernet.in                   take stone from stone and wash them..."
Voice/Fax/Data +91 11 6853410
Voicemail +91 11 3760335                 H 34C Saket, New Delhi 110017, INDIA