Acapulco H.E.A.T. Auxilliary Review

Jonathan Adams jonathan at memex.com
Mon Sep 19 05:57:26 PDT 1994

In a post to cypherpunks, L. Todd Masco <cactus at bb.com> wrote:
> In article <199409190629.AA24697 at metronet.com>, David K. Merriman
> <merriman at metronet.com> wrote:

> >There *was* a brief flurry of goodguy/badguy underwater WWF

> action, but considering that their alleged bottom time for

> the dives was 25 minutes (any diver confirmation out there?),
>

> At 102 feet? ... it's just from a long-ago PADI training and a
> couple of shallow dives following, but from what I remember:
>

> 	- the rule of thumb is that 30 feet of water get you an
> 		atmosphere.  So you're at 102 you're at just
> 		under 4.5, so you're using air at the rate of
> 		4.5 times the rate you do on the surface.

It's 1 atmosphere for every 33 feet, but either way, I don't see how
you managed to get 4.5 * the rate. At around 3 atmospheres, you're

using air at about 4 times the 1 atmosphere rate.

> 	- My dives were usually 30-60 feet (say, half the pressure
> 		the H.E.A.T. team dealt with), and I was able to stay
> 		down for over an hour, with one tank.  That means
> 		that with two tanks they should have had at least
> 		a similar limit, say an hour.  On the other hand,
> 		I wasn't wrestling... Exertion can pull you way
> 		down.  If they were giving a definite, solid time
> 		limit, it's definitely bogus ("Let's see, five
> 		minutes at 10 times air consumption while you
> 		fight...") for air limitations.

Hmmm. I believe that the diving depth-to-time tables (which I don't have
in front of me. I'll get them out and double check later) give a
time of around 25 minutes. It has nothing to do with how much air you
have. The tables are used to avoid the bends and nitrogen narcosis.