Chaing Remailers (instructions) [long]

Alex de Joode usura at vox.xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 18 03:31:50 PDT 1994

Note-1: [RRT- stands for Request-Remailing-To:, most remailers also
         accept Anon-To: ]
Note-2: [You is in this doc me at mysite.home,
         substitute that adress for your own if you
         want to receive the test message yourself]

First you should test only one remailer:

you > remailer 1 >> RRT- you

This is what you send:

-->

> From: me at mysite.home
> To: hal at alumni.caltech.edu
>
> ::
> Request-Remailing-To: me at mysite.home
>
> Test of remailer at alumni.caltech.edu

This is what you receive from alumni.caltech.edu:

-->

> From: nobody at alumni.caltech.edu
> To: me at mysite.home
>
> Test of remailer at alumni.caltech.edu

If this is succesful you add another remailer:

you > remailer 1 >> RRT- remailer 2 >>> RRT- you

This is what you send:

-->

        Remailer usura at xs4all.nl will receive this message from
        hal at alumni.caltech.edu

-->

> From: nobody at alumni.caltech.edu
> To: usura at xs4all.nl
>
> ::
> Request-Remailing-To: me at mysite.home
>
> Test of remailer at alumni.caltech.edu and RRT xs4all.nl

    Because the message has the header pasting tokens [::]
    the remailer at xs4all.nl knows where to send it to.

        You will receive this message from xs4all.nl
-->

> From: nobody at vox.xs4all.nl
> To: me at mysite.org
>
> Test of remailer at alumni.caltech.edu and RRT xs4all.nl

You can keep adding remailers this way, everytime you receive
a test message back you add another remailer: if you stop receiving
test messages, the last remailer added is most likely "down". You can
check that by using that remailer directly.

The above is simple unencrypted remailing. If you want to have an
encrypted chained remailing, you first have to "design" the chain.

    0] from your PC send to alumni.caltech.edu
    1] at alumni.caltech.edu RRT jpunix.com
    2] at jpunix.com RRT vox.hacktic.nl
    3] at vox.hacktic.nl RRT me at mysite.home

{Stage 3:} This is actually the first message you make.

-->

> ::
> Request-Remailing-To: me at mysite.home
>
> Test of PGP'ed remailing trough caltech, jpunix and vox.

The above is encrypted with the PGPpubKEY of vox.hacktic.nl and will
result in this:

> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
> Version: 2.6 for VoX Labz.
>
> hIwCWd90FI1WkT0BA/9I6ILVhl5ZpsgKgHye+ng9CokwzdW1pMgcd0ecigppAODe
> 53LlyVw/hl1ERYIzWW9W4vnuh7sLgu9XjxB515FtT5VSyZLZrhKIF7XtACga2On+
> 1NmsecLTrgXYcc4k0Y+l66Hs06z92yhFvjXruDBS2Pame0VDtgZo+4aPntioDaYA
> AABJsVIWRaJkCib+uek9Pr6GqFP7lwaMqq8XFnFxY42h3Wn3c5DikrzmwKGK5xVs
> hmiZnEhJgXvR7jS2cNNOk/geG4SnUqvMTzpq6w==
> =b0bT
> -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

Then you than proceed to the 2nd stage the message wich has to leave
jpunix.com, so remail at vox.hacktic.nl knows what to do [decrypt it] is:

-->

> ::
> Encrypted: PGP
>
> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
> Version: 2.6 for VoX Labz.
>
> hIwCWd90FI1WkT0BA/9I6ILVhl5ZpsgKgHye+ng9CokwzdW1pMgcd0ecigppAODe
> 53LlyVw/hl1ERYIzWW9W4vnuh7sLgu9XjxB515FtT5VSyZLZrhKIF7XtACga2On+
> 1NmsecLTrgXYcc4k0Y+l66Hs06z92yhFvjXruDBS2Pame0VDtgZo+4aPntioDaYA
> AABJsVIWRaJkCib+uek9Pr6GqFP7lwaMqq8XFnFxY42h3Wn3c5DikrzmwKGK5xVs
> hmiZnEhJgXvR7jS2cNNOk/geG4SnUqvMTzpq6w==
> =b0bT
> -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

{Stage 2:}

But jpunix.com has to know where to send it to, so the 2nd stage msg is:

-->

> ::
> Request-Remailing-To: remail at vox.hacktic.nl
>
> ::
> Encrypted: PGP
>
> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
> Version: 2.6 for VoX Labz.
>
> hIwCWd90FI1WkT0BA/9I6ILVhl5ZpsgKgHye+ng9CokwzdW1pMgcd0ecigppAODe
> 53LlyVw/hl1ERYIzWW9W4vnuh7sLgu9XjxB515FtT5VSyZLZrhKIF7XtACga2On+
> 1NmsecLTrgXYcc4k0Y+l66Hs06z92yhFvjXruDBS2Pame0VDtgZo+4aPntioDaYA
> AABJsVIWRaJkCib+uek9Pr6GqFP7lwaMqq8XFnFxY42h3Wn3c5DikrzmwKGK5xVs
> hmiZnEhJgXvR7jS2cNNOk/geG4SnUqvMTzpq6w==
> =b0bT
> -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

The above is then encrypted with the PGPpubKEY of jpunix.com

{Stage 1:}

This new encrypted message gets the headers for caltech to remail:

-->

> ::
> Request-Remailing-To: remail at jpunix.com
>
> ::
> Encrypted: PGP
>
> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
>
> and the PGP encrypted message from {stage 2}
>
> -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

{Stage 0:} the message you send to alumni.caltech.edu

is the encrypted message [with the PGPpubKEY of alumni.caltech.edu] of
stage 1 plus a Encrypted: PGP header.

-->

> To: hal at alumni.caltech.edu
>
> ::
> Encrypted: PGP
>
> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
>
> and the PGP encrypted message from {stage 1}
>
> -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

This you send from your PC to hal at alumni.caltech.edu :

->
> ::
> Encrypted: PGP
>
> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----  [with alumni.caltech.edu's PUBkey]
> Version: 2.6.1
> ::
> Request-Remailing-To: remail at jpunix.com
>
> ::
> Encrypted: PGP
>
>     -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----   [with jpunix.com's PUBkey]
>     Version: 2.6.1
>     ::
>     Request-Remailing-To: remail at vox.hacktic.nl
>
>     ::
>     Encrypted: PGP
>
>         -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----   [with vox.hacktic.nl's PUBkey]
>         Version: 2.6.1
>         ::
>         Request-Remailing-To: me at mysite.home
>
>         Hi mom I'm home.
>         ---------------------------------
>         -----END PGP MESSAGE-----
>     -----END PGP MESSAGE-----
> -----END PGP MESSAGE-----
<-
  ^   ^   ^
  |   |   |
  |   |   -> the inner envelope: you close this first
  |   |
  |   -> the second envelope: you close this second

  -> the outer envelope: this one you close last

--
If you finger remailer.help.all at chaos.bsu.edu you will
receive a list of active remailers and their peculiarities.

If you finger remailer-list at chaos.bsu.edu and/or
              remailer-list at kiwi.cs.berkeley.edu you will
              receive a list of uptime statistics.

Hope this helps.