NYT/Markoff article on RC4

Brian A. LaMacchia bal at martigny.ai.mit.edu
Fri Sep 16 21:22:13 PDT 1994

An article by John Markoff on the release of RC4 source code just came
over the NYT wire.  It's coded "financial;" I expect it to appear in
Saturday editions.  Doesn't say much we don't already know (quotes the
RSADSI statement that "...its publication is a gross abuse of the
Internet.").

The article does mention this list, which is called, "a specialized
computer network mailing list of computer researchers who oppose
the Government's stringent controls on data encryption technology."

There's a bug in the article: it says the code was first circulated on
Tuesday, Sep 13, and was posted via an anonymous remailer in the
Netherlands.  I assume Markoff is talking about the message: