AIDS testing and privacy

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Thu Sep 8 18:44:18 PDT 1994

At 10:41 AM 9/8/94 -0700, Doug Cutrell wrote:

>In a fundamental situation of conflict between two entities, I agree that
>"anything goes", in the spirit of voluntary interactions between two
>entities.  In the case of a conflict between a small number of large,
>powerful entities (corporate employers) and a vast number of small,
>powerless entities (the employment pool), I don't see how you can argue
>that this vast horde should not team up and utilize whatever means to
>achieve an advantage over the few in power.

You mean mass executions of "corporate officers" for example if the 'peepul'
felt like it.  Last time I looked there were millions of employers (not a
small number) and the average size of companies was declining.

>Today and in the future, "power" may reside increasingly in economic
>positioning.  Thus, the power of the many individuals vs. the power of the
>few corporate entities may derive largely from their collective voice in
>the social conventions of society at large, which ultimately derives power
>from the tax base of the society at large.

You seem to think that the power of corporations -- which consists in the
cases cited merely of refusing to hire or deal with certain people -- is the
same as the power of a "democratically appointed" armed force.  This armed
force is to bash down doors to force these evil corporations into an
association with people they would rather not associate with.  In other
words non-violent "refusal to deal" by corporations is *evil* while armed
breaches of the peace by law enforcement (including shooting resisters) is
*good*.  Not a very "humanistic" perspective.

Note too that anti-discrimination laws also punish small powerless entities
(individuals) who discriminate not just massive corporations.  And what law
protects those who the "peepul/government" don't like from discrimination.
As a member of a hated minority (crypto anarchists) I'd rather take my
chances on an open market than risk official discrimination by the state.

Mercifully, the technology we are developing will allow everyone who cares
to to decline to participate in this coercive allocation of power.

DCF