AIDs testing and privacy

Michael Conlen meconlen at IntNet.net
Wed Sep 7 17:02:15 PDT 1994

> > What about being denied a job because you have been treated for some
> > disease? How about being denied a loan because your medical history has
> > a profile that indicates that your life expectancy is shorter than the
> > duration of the loan? It seems that the potential for abuse is so great
> > that we should not allow such cross referencing.
>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> There's the rub! While I may not _like_ what people or companies do
> with data about me, I generally don't support laws telling them what
> they can do, what they can't do, etc.

Lets say a place wont hire blacks, and you happend to be black, and
wanted to work for such a company. Would you do what you can to hide your
color, if possible, to get hired, then let them try to fire you over it,
or would you decide that you wouldnt want to work for this company at
all? What if MOST companys had this policy... ...and the ones that didnt,
wouldnt pay anyone what they are worth. What then?

If one or two companys would be the ones deciding what to do based on
this information then I wouldnt see much problem in it, I would choose to
do buisness with other companys based on there ethic, however I dont
think many companys that I will do buisness with are the likes that wont
use anything they can get there hands on. Assuming this to be true, it
could be very difficult to live if every company knew I was such and
such.

Groove on Dude
Michael Conlen