Mandatory Email verification

James A. Donald jamesd at netcom.com
Sun Oct 2 20:28:28 PDT 1994

Ken Landaiche writes
> I have seen that
> any system a human can devise, another human can eventually break.

False.  Most cryptographic algorithms these days are secure.

Windows NT is secure.

> This
> leads me to believe that eventually we will have to begin acting on our
> honor,

Walking through a security hole on a computer is not necessarily
dishonorable, though many dishonorable things can be done once
you are through that hole.

> and provide severe consequences for dishonorable behavior.

If "we" provide "sever consequences" then we are not relying
on honor, but on coercion.

> haven't finished working out what "honor" means in this social context.

So I see.

We have the right to defend ourselves and our
property, because of the kind of animals that we              James A. Donald
are.  True law derives from this right, not from
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.                jamesd at netcom.com