Security Services

Ian Farquhar ianf at sydney.sgi.com
Wed Nov 30 14:19:31 PST 1994

On Nov 30, 10:17am, James A. Donald wrote:
> Was the DFAT building also old, wooden, and uninsured?

My recollection of the DFAT building was that it was quite old (by
Canberra standards, which means built in the 1950's or so), but reasonably
well maintained.  Most of the bus tour operators will point out the
fourth floor anyway.  It's good touristy stuff.

> (Oh, I forgot, it is only taxpayer money, so I guess the
> building was probably new, expensive and uninsured.)

> As I recall it was ASIO, not ASIS, that bombed the Sheraton, not
> raided it -- (one hopes that they intended to "discover" the bomb,
> but failed to "discover" it in time) -- or am I mixing up
> two different incidents?

You are.  ASIS bungled a training exercise, at the Melbourne Sheraton,
which led to an embarrasing public disclosure of the organisation's
existance.  It was pure keystone cops stuff.

						Ian.