Privacy Digest - the future

Gary Jeffers CCGARY at MIZZOU1.missouri.edu
Mon Nov 28 20:29:35 PST 1994

THE FOLLOWING IS FOR INFORMATIONAL VALUE ONLY & IS DOES NOT ADVOCATE
THE BREAKING OF ANY LAWS.

Dear Cypherpunks,

   Well, I think enough damage control has been done with my original
Privacy Digest post. Now to pick through the ashes & see if I can come
up with anything of value.

   The ideas & services presented in the Privacy Digest advertisement   e
are still very good. I think that bright segments of the upper classes
commonly do have access to these services. The trick would be to bring
these services to the class masses. I think that it would have been
hard to do this in the times before the great amount of electronic
privacy software & infrastructure that have been built up.

   Now that we have the tech. investment, I think that International
financial transactions could be privately done for the people.
What we need mostly are lawyers & financial experts that are willing
to deal with the middle classes & who are aware of & want to deal with
Cypherpunk technology. That would probably mean two or more people. One
would be the international law/money expert. The other would be the
communications expert.

   Do we have a shortage of lawyers who want to live & work in tax
haven vacation spots & get rich? If our Cypherpunk lawyers are afraid
of wrecking their reputations with States, then maybe they could get
"little" lawyers to do the front work for them. We seem to be up to our
asses here in the U.S. with lawyers & I hear they are starting to have
a hard time making careers. However, there is a huge market for lawyers
financial experts that is unoccupied in the masses money privacy area.

   As to the Cypherpunk tech.s, I think that for a good salary, they
could be convinced to go to a vacation spot & do what they really want
to do anyway. They would, of course, own a portion of the Corporation
so that a successful venture would mean a secure future.

   It really needs one model experiment to open it up. After that, other
groups could model themselves on the first & we would wind up with a
giant private economy. - a true free market!

   I would suggest that the team just start out with a couple of
services. I would suggest check & money order cashing & funds trans-
mitting service & possibly an e$ clearinghouse. Once these activities
were successful, then other services could be added on.

   When this business starts making good money, then they could afford
to pay Cypherpunk programmers for their work. They could also afford to
pay remailers for stable services. This would, of course, snowball.
More money means better privacy software & better privacy software
means a safer & more committed private money business & thus more money
for more & better privacy software & privacy infrastructure.

   So far, Cypherpunks & associates have been like "all dressed up & no
place to go". That is, we have a lot of good software & systems & hardly
anyone making good use of it. An offshore, money privacy business for
the general public that wanted Cypherpunk tech. would have use for most
of it & a demand for more of it.

   It is my view, that what is most needed now, is a model offshore
private money services company which uses Cypherpunk tech. & actually
makes money. With that as a nucleus, the TRULY private economy would
skyrocket & the Cypherpunk dream would be realized.
                                                   Yours Truly,
                                                   Gary Jeffers