phone security

Rick Busdiecker rfb at lehman.com
Mon Nov 28 06:11:42 PST 1994

We have a neighbor who likes to use a scanner to listen in on portable
phones, baby monitors, etc..  While I've never used portable phones,
I've gotten into a number of discussions with other neighbors about
appropriate ways to deal with the situation -- most people don't
appreciate my suggestion that they simply stop broadcasting their
private conversations (!)

Anyway, in a conversation on Saturday I said that without encryption,
you basically have no privacy with a portable phone.  Several people
said that ``900 MHz'' portables are safe from scanners.  Does someone
know more about this situation?  What would be required to eavesdrop
on one of these phones?

Also, my understanding of the legal situation is that listening in on
cellular phones is considered wiretap (at least assuming that intent
can be demonstrated), but that most other broadcasting phones are not
protected, i. e. my nosy neighbor's actions are merely slimy, not
criminal.  Is my understanding accurate?

			Rick