Cell Phones Security - NOT!

Brian McMurry Brian.McMurry at f844.n102.z1.fidonet.org
Mon Nov 28 05:19:18 PST 1994

On 24-Nov-94, Conrad Walton wrote:
>Well, as one who owns an AOR 1000 radio frequency scanner that can receive
>any and all cell phone conversations, I would have to say you have no
>security unless you use some kind of voice encryption. In order to make you
>can feel warm and safe, the manufacture or importation of scanners with
>cell phone capability was outlawed by congress earlier this year, which
>means that I can still listen to your call with my existing scanner while
>you feel protected.

Your local budget espionage shop (Radio Shack) still has a selection of
scanners that pick up cellular and cordless telephones.  A friend picked one
up to listen to normal police/fire calls, but hasn't been able to lay a hand
on it since his wife is always listening to the 'soap opera' phone calls.
Often times she'll tape them.  People are unknowingly giving away voice
mailboxes, credit cards, and account information all the time (DTMF).

--- CNet XFIDO 2.63
 * Origin: *AACHEN*  818-972-9440  Burbank, CA  FIDONET (1:102/844)
--
: Brian McMurry - via mcws.fidonet.org - Public Access (213)256-8371
: ARPA/INTERNET: Brian.McMurry at f844.n102.z1.fidonet.org
: UUCP: ...!bengal!mcws!844!Brian.McMurry
: Compu$erve: >internet:Brian.McMurry at f844.n102.z1.fidonet.org