School Admins

jpb at gate.net jpb at gate.net
Sun Nov 27 21:33:29 PST 1994

Re:
> > > suspend him.'  The administration, at least at my school, does *NOT* know
> > > how to deal with computer networks.  They threatened to suspend me for
> > > insubordination if I didn't grep people's mail spools for obscenity -
> > > call me a wimp, but I shut up and did it (deleting people I knew.  :) ).
> >
> > Here's hoping you sent the grep victims anonymous mail with a PGP faq.
>
>    Riiight.  It's not practical to bring PGP in - these AIX boxes have
> disk drives but the C compiler has been removed.  I don't have access to
> another AIX box to compile PGP on, either.  crypt(1) is good enough.

Jon,

I guess you're right - if they're so clueless that they have to get you to
run grep for them they're clueless enough to be stymied by crypt - all you
have to do is go "Duh, its encrypted, I don't know how to uncrypt."

How long do you think it'll be before crypt disappears, though?

Are these machines connected to the net?  If so, pointing them in the
direction of the remailers might be a good thing.

Joe

P.S. I realize it is a lot easier for me to make these suggestions than
for you to implement them - I don't have to deal with the consequences.