A possible solution

Aron Freed s009amf at discover.wright.edu
Sun Nov 27 13:11:17 PST 1994

I was sitting down and thinking about the problem of responsibily of
using non-escrowed public key cryptography. Well here is a possible
answer. Law enforcement agents have several different methods of
finding out about crimes that might happen. And this means they wouldn't
be allowed to tap phone lines or use key-escrowed systems like Clipper.
Then people who do use non-escrowed public key cryptography for illegal
actions would have problems. If they are caught by other means such as
tips from anonymous sources and are then caught doing something illegal
and they are also using non-escrowed public key cryptography to commit these
illegal acts, then the fines and jail time should be increased. This
reasoning is based on the fact that we need to be more responsible with
technology. Therefore, the government would allow us to go on about our
business using non-escrowed key systems, but if misused by the public
there would be harsher punishments to the misusing individual. There are
plenty of informants out there who can help the law enforcement agencies.
We use public key crypt such as PGP. They won't be able to read it, but
if there is misuse and the peron is convicted of a crime and is using PGP
or some other non-escrowed system to commit the crimes he was convicted
of, it's more trouble for him. TO me this is the best solution and it's
the only thing I would allow. The government cannot be allowed to tap our
phone lines the way they would like to using CLipper or SKE or some other
type of system. We need to keep our rights but we need to still make it
known that PGP is not meant for corruption and illegal use. IT's meant
for private conversation in it due time.

I need feedback desperately on this idea. I am incorporating this idea
into a two page paper called Dealing with Technology in the Future. I
want this to be part of the solution. But I would like to know what
others feel about this idea.

Aaron
513-276-3817 voice
s009amf at discover.wright.edu