DC-Net implementation

rishab at dxm.ernet.in rishab at dxm.ernet.in
Tue Nov 22 16:03:49 PST 1994

acspring at knoware.nl (Andrew Spring):
> >Using a central node to coordinate the DC-net traffic requires that the
> >participants trust that central node.  If the central node is evil,
> A collation of N-1 nodes will always produce garbage; the whole set is
> needed for the message to fall out.
> Example
>         A sends 14 -  5      =  9 to Central node
>         B sends  5 - 11      = -6

Central nodes are not nice for various reasons, including the usual networking
and security (trust) advantages of wide distribution. IAC a central node is
not necessary; for example, if each node were to output to the next:
  B sends Anum XOR Brnd (XOR msg) to C
where Brnd is B's random number, msg is B's message (if any) and Anum is the
similarly generated output of A. This is much closer to the original DCNet
_bit_ flipping - the first XOR checks for equality while the second commits the
'lie'

In this case whatever number A gets from D is the output of the net. There are
lots of interesting cryptographic sub-protocols to make too much trust
unnecessary. I also believe that error-correction is best left to lower levels
of the network - there's no need for a DC Net not to assume a reliable data
channel.

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh             "Clean the air! clean the sky! wash the wind!
rishab at dxm.ernet.in                   take stone from stone and wash them..."
rishab at arbornet.org
Voice/Fax/Data +91 11 6853410
Voicemail +91 11 3760335                 H 34C Saket, New Delhi 110017, INDIA