A Chance Encounter with Brad Templeton, of ClariNet

L. Todd Masco cactus at bb.hks.net
Mon Nov 21 18:23:35 PST 1994

In article <199411220020.QAA08980 at netcom6.netcom.com>,
Timothy C. May <tcmay at netcom.com> wrote:
>* I shrugged, and said that, longterm, copyright was dead as we know
>it today. I pointed out that dozens of Cypherpunks-style remailers are
>operational, including many in Europe and elsewhere.
>
>* Brad: "Then they'll be outlawed."
>
>* "And what about the non-U.S. sites?," I asked. He had no good
>answer...

This is why GATT bothers me.  Once we have have an alignment of property
laws, particularly IP laws, there's no telling how things will fall.

It's a bad set of failure modes.

>* Brad also expressed the view that the recently passed Digital
>Telephony Act would "force" remailer operators to make their traffic
>available to the proper authorities.

Brad's very wrong.  The Senate hearings were very explicit on this
point: Internet providers (as well as people like AOL and Compuserv)
are exempt from DT requirements.
--
Todd Masco     | According to the US dept of Justice Stats, 3.98% of the US
cactus at hks.net | population is in prison, the highest count in the world. We