I Like ASCII, not MIME and Other Fancy Crap

Amanda Walker amanda at intercon.com
Sun Nov 20 11:32:27 PST 1994

> Now you're expecting me to hunt around for
> viewers for .gifs and TIFFS and JPEGs and God knows what else you might want
> to send me ?

Actually, I'm not, any more than you're expecting me to hunt around for
a copy of PGP just so I can verify your signature.  Secondly, having to
hunt around for viewers is something that has to do with your mailer, not
MIME itself.  For example, when I receive MIME email with images, they
just appear inline with the text.  Just because the easiest way for
mailers like ELM to support MIME is to call out to metamail or the like
doesn't mean that's necessarily how MIME was meant to be used...

> .GIF is not part of the standard for the format of Internet email, is it ?

Yes, it is.  The MIME RFC specifies image/gif and image/jpeg as the
standard formats for including images in Internet email messages.

> I only switched to ELM a few months ago. I guess I'm actually getting pretty
> comfortable with using it, which means it's time to ditch it.

That's the problem with depending on UNIX :) :)

Just as a reminder, I'll point out that I do in fact sympathize, which is
why I refrain from using graphics, styled text, HTML links, and so on in
my messages.  I just have a strong disagreement with the sentiment expressed
by Tim, where limiting email to what can be punched onto Hollerith cards
is seen as a feature, not a bug.  On the other hand, since designing UIs
for Internet software is how I make my living, I'm no doubt biased in favor
of it being a bug.

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation