procmail

tim werner werner at mc.ab.com
Tue May 31 11:19:03 PDT 1994

>Date: Tue, 31 May 1994 11:22:17 -0600
>From: Martin Janzen <janzen at idacom.hp.com>
>
>tim werner <werner at mc.ab.com> writes:
>>> With procmail, you can associate arbitrary actions with a match, so no
>>> it would not have to be silent.
>>
>>Will anyone who has procmail working please send me an example of how you
>>use it?  I am totally confused.
>
>First, you have to tell the mail system that you want your mail to be
>filtered through the procmail program.  You do this by creating a
>one-line file called ".forward" in your home directory:
>
>"| IFS=' '; /usr/local/bin/procmail -p"

Sorry to bother the list with this thread, but I need just one more
question answered, and I don't know where else to ask.

I work on a heterogeneous system.  My personal workstation is a decstation,
running Ultrix-4.3, but I'm pretty sure that email enters our local domain
via a sparcstation running SunOS-4.1.3.  My email ends up in
/var/spool/mail/werner, which is one of the sparcstation disk partitions.

If I use the above-mentioned .forward magic to start procmail, does it
execute on my local decstation, or on the sparcstation.  In other words,
do I build a decstation or sparcstation executable?

Is there some way I can test this without the mail daemon getting into some
kind of infernal .forward loop if there is an error?

thanks a lot,
tw