Does Estonian RSA chip violate patents?

rishab at dxm.ernet.in rishab at dxm.ernet.in
Mon May 30 09:16:08 PDT 1994

Jyri Poldre <jp at jep.pld.ttu.ee>:
> Recently i became involved in project of designing semi-custom VLSI device
> for endecryption. The device uses variable length RSA for key exchange and
> IDEA for data encryption. For pipelinig IDEA block we have to use 6
> multipliers 16 bit ant that leaves us with 96 bit adder for RSA calculations.
> ( The chip should be reasonably cheap ). Otherwise the RSA speed would not

As this is in Estonia, I don't suppose you're bothered about the patents?
As far as I know, RSA/PKP patents are for _algorithms_, not respected outside
the US, though patents for RSA/PKP _hardware_ would be respected worldwide.

I'm not sure how algorithm patents can be applied to hardware -- you may or
may not be able to sell this chip in the US _without_ violating patents.
(Though you can freely sell RSA hardware or software outside the US.)

You may even be able to apply for a European patent for the hardware, which
would then be respected everywhere, except in the US where it may be superceded
by the algorithm patents.

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh                                     rishab at dxm.ernet.in
Voicemail +91 11 3760335; Vox/Fax/Data 6853410
H-34C Saket New Delhi 110017 INDIA

The National Fairness to Game Animals Association says:
                                          Support your right to arm bears!