(fwd) Re: NSA Helped Yeltsin Foil 1991 Coup

Jay Prime Positive jpp at jpplap.markv.com
Fri May 27 12:02:06 PDT 1994

   Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 14:21:28 -0400
   From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry at imsi.com>

   We are all very dependent on things like MD5 and IDEA, which may or
   may not actually be secure. We should bear this in mind.

If you suspect that some of the non DOD/NSA cyphers might be broken,
but you are not ready to employ one-time-pads, then you should
threshold you mesages into N parts so that all N are needed to recover
the original.  Then encrypt each part under a different cypher.

Perhaps IDEA, and 3DES would be apropriate.  This will not increase
the size of your messages very much since you compress before
encrypting -- don't you?

j'