(fwd) Re: NSA Helped Yeltsin Foil 1991 Coup

Timothy C. May tcmay at netcom.com
Fri May 27 10:54:40 PDT 1994

An interesting article by Seymour Hersh is cited below. It says that
NSA had transcripts of the 1991 coup plotters (and presumably other
Russian leaders) and that Bush passed these on to Yeltsin to warn him.

If true, a serious compromise of NSA's listening capabilities.

Also note the reference to how the coup plotters should've been using
PGP. (Prediction: something along these lines will be added to the
list of reasons why PGP is bad and Clipper is good..."We need to have
Escrowed Coup Plotter Encryption so that we can examine the messages
of coup plotters.")

--Tim May