PGP 2.6 is dangerous in the long term ?

Robert A. Hayden hayden at krypton.mankato.msus.edu
Wed May 25 12:49:38 PDT 1994

On Wed, 25 May 1994, Lefty wrote:

> >What if (the cypherpunk community) comes out with a secure program that
> >doesn't rely on RSAREF?  Can it be done?
>
> Bizdos and gang will _still_ hold the patent on RSA-style public key
> encryption.  What you're suggesting is, in essence, exactly what Phil
> Zimmerman did with PGP 1.0.

Ah, ok.  I wasn't sure if the patent covered just the use of the
algorithm or also the use of public-key-like systems.  As I said, I am
most likely completely wrong :-)

____        Robert A. Hayden          <=> hayden at krypton.mankato.msus.edu
 \/  /   Finger for Geek Code Info    <=> Political Correctness is
   \/    Finger for PGP Public Key    <=> P.C. for "Thought Police"
(GEEK CODE 1.0.1)  GAT d- -p+(---) c++(++++) l++ u++ e+/* m++(*)@ s-/++