IBM's NetSP

Adam Shostack adam at bwh.harvard.edu
Wed May 25 10:13:26 PDT 1994

(This is a set of excerpts from a 1000 line file I got from a guy
@IBM.  If anyone wants the whole thing, just ask.)

|   Network Security Program Version 1 Release 2 is a distributed authentication
|   and key distribution program.  The Network Security Program authenticates the
|   identity of two communicating principals in the network and provides each
|   with the ability to verify the identity of the other via a common third-party
|   server.

|   Network Security Program provides secured single sign-on (SSO) to 3270 host
|   applications via an EHLLAPI emulator interface to a RACF* host system.
|   Through the implementation of PassTickets, the user at the client workstation
|   need only provide one log-on password that will allow secured access to
|   multiple host applications.  In addition to the TCP/IP transfer protocols for
|   these platforms NetBIOS is supported on AIX*, OS/2*, DOS*, and Windows; LU6.2
|   is supported on AIX and OS/2.
|
|   Network Security Program provides distributed security services that user
|   applications may invoke through the Generic Security Services Application
|   Programming Interface (GSSAPI).  GSSAPI is approved as an Request for Comment
|   (RFC) by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).  The underlying security
|   mechanism is based on KryptoKnight, an advanced authentication technology
|   developed by IBM Research Laboratories in Zurich, Switzerland and Yorktown
|   Heights, New York.
|
|   In V1R2 we are extending our platforms from the AIX/6000, OS/2 and DOS
|   operating systems to include HP, SUN, and DOS/Windows for client and
|   application server workstations.  IPX/SPX is supported on OS/2 and Windows
|   for authentication servers and clients running on workstations with Novell
|   Netware.  TCP/IP is supported on all the specified platforms.  Single sign-on
|   (SSO) support for OS/2 has been extended to LanServer and Novell.

|   In DCE environments, Network Security Program is offered to customers whose
|   environments pose authentication problems at the transport layer and below.
|   Because of its compact tickets and flexible authentication protocols, Network
|   Security Program can be more effective in satisfying this set of
|   requirements. Network Security Program also provides secure LU2 sign-on to
|   RACF host applications without requiring re-entry of host user names or
|   passwords.  Single sign-on to LANServer and Novell is also available.  DCE is
|   the recommended solution for customers requiring authentication above the
|   transport layer (through secure RPC), for use by the application layer, for
|   more complete security services, or for integration with other services, such
|   as data access control or integration with resource managers.

|   DATA CONFIDENTIALITY
|
|   Commercial Data Masking Facility (CDMF) is a new technology recently
|   developed by the IBM Crypto Competence Center.  CDMF has a scrambling
|   algorithm that will be supported under the GSS-API (GSS-SEAL / GSS-UNSEAL API
|   calls).  It provides the application programmer the capability to easily
> [...]

	(Most UNIX systems req. 5mb disk, 8mb ram.  Seems that Solaris
2 is not later enough to count as 'solaris 1.1 or later;' It was not
listed as a supported OS.)

Adam Shostack 				       adam at bwh.harvard.edu

Politics.  From the greek "poly," meaning many, and ticks, a small,
annoying bloodsucker.