Bruce Sterling's talk at CFP

Blanc Weber blancw at microsoft.com
Tue May 24 20:13:48 PDT 1994

I'm glad that Bruce Sterling made the comments which he did, in that
gathering of the right people to hear these statements.

Although he sounds as though he thinks that everyone ought to be their
brother's keeper, I think the paragraphs below do point out the
hypocrisy in worrying about the gravity of what could be communicated
in a telephone conversation or over the net that might result in
advancing a criminal act, when

"People stumble through the streets of every city in this country
absolutely wrapped in the grip of demons, groping at passersby for a
moment's attention and pity and not getting it."

The contrast between cries for safety legislation and the abhorent
conditions under which many live, do not demonstrate a delicate
sensitivity towards higher standards of functioning which could make
one sympathize with the alarms about opening up a pandora's box of
crime, in such a climate of seeming disconcern for the sufferings of
the individual.  Who is being saved from what, and who really cares?
If the answers to these questions are not resolved, then what sense
does it make to put such alarms into a non-existent context.

"There may be securicams running 24 hours a day all around us,  but
mechanical surveillance is not the same as people actually getting
attention or care."

And it's not the same as actually knowing what is important to an
individual, and it does not  convince that, although truly important
values which could build up a society are being neglected, attending to
these exceptional threats to safety will keep everyone from total disaster.

"You want to impress me with your deep concern for children?  This is
Chicago!  Go down to the Projects and rescue some children from being
terrorized and recruited by crack gangs who wouldn't know a modem if it
bit them on the ass!"

Another convincing demonstration of efficacy in responding in a
coordinated fashion to the safety requirements of a great society,
protecting the sacredness of vulnerable littel children, the purity of
the moral atmosphere, and being of practical use to all.  Maybe I could
appreciate someone's deep concern for my safety, but yet be unconvinced
of the consequential benefit of their ministrations when there is so
much evidence to the contrary.

I wouldn't make the points which B. Sterling made in quite the same
way, but he did present the message to our "guardians" that they are
not pulling the wool over *every*one's eyes, that their hypocricy is
patent, and that their motives are ridiculous about their proposed
goodwill to mankind.

Blanc